Friday, June 19, 2009

How far in the "country" are we really?

In case anyone wanted to know how far in the "country" we really are. The nearest town is 6 miles away, Montevello. There are no services or stores and the population is 300. The next closest town is 9 miles away, Milo. There are also no services or stores there either and the population there is 100. The next closest town is 17 miles away, Nevada. There is a Walmart, 2 local grocery stores, McD's, Burger King, Subway, Taco Bell/KFC, Dairy Queen Hardee's, and Sonic. About 5 sit down restaurants, Sutherland's, Orshelns, a few other local hardware stores, and THAT'S IT!!!!!!! Not kidding! Good luck!

We are 60 miles north of Joplin population: 400,000 (4th largest city in Missouri, and 100 miles south of Kansas City. I hope that helps anyone get an idea how rural we are located. Fun for us! ha, ha.

7 comments:

D. Larimore said...

Walmart up the road? What more does a person need? LOL

Chris and Stacy Thomas said...

That certainly seems to be the sentiment of most folks around here.

D. Larimore said...

I guess I would fit right in there then. This is Damon. I don't know if you can tell from the 'handle.' I need to create another one that is more personal.

My small garden looks like a weed patch now on one end with these huge zuchinni and crookneck squash plants on the other. That is where I piled all the grass clippings last fall. No borer beetle damage this year either.

My site is either www.theworldofdamon.blogspot.com

or www.damonsworld.blogspot.com

I can never remember which.

enjoy your weekend. It was great to see your place.

csmariposa said...

Beautiful. Your garden is HUGE! You're doing what I would like to do, except I'd like a VEGAN farm. :) I think that would get me out of milking the cow...Enjoy the fresh veggies, the pecans from your own tree, and the fireflies. What wonderful memories you're giving your children!

Amanda said...

Hi Chris and Stacy! So you know this is Mandie Dickson, now known as Amanda Kepsel. My mom gave me your info. so i thought i'd drop a line.
I do have to admit that you two look exactly the same. Healthy and happy. And I am completely jealous of your beautiful home. My husband and I are looking at a little twelve acre farm in Green River, Ut. right now. 30 peach trees, watermelons, and sage brush, but it lines the river and there would be plenty of room for a huge garden. Which i havent had much luck with this year, but it was a knee problem not a gardening problem.

Wow, i can babble. Check out my blog. www.theatozkepselfamily.blogspot.com

No i couldnt make the address any longer ;)
Or write me an email. kepsel.amanda@gmail.com

It was nice to see your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

It is so good to see you guys! I am on my way back to the good ol simple life of Mo. and I can't wait actually. I about died at the Farmers market here they get almost 4 bucks for a carton of good ol farm eggs...crazy I'm taking a greyhound with Anthony leaving out of California tomorrow... Oh and Isreal and I are having another baby. Fun.... See ya soon. Toni

RuthAnn said...

Stacey - I didn't see a Christmas card come through, so I'm wondering how everything is going for the Thomas clan? Are you on Facebook? My email is ruthannhiatt@yahoo.com, email me.

love ya,
RuthAnn